Tel: +60-378764648 / +60-378774741 Fax: +60-378730636
Prof Datuk Dr. Marimuthu Nadason (President) Saravanan Thambirajah (Secretary General)
The Education and Research Association for Consumers Malaysia (ERA Consumer Malaysia) is a voluntary, non-profit and non-political civil society organisation.
It was founded in the state of Perak in 1985 and subsequently expanded into a national organisation, which is now based in Kuala Lumpur. ERA Consumer Malaysia’s programmes are designed and implemented to nurture alternative, people-centred, development initiatives at the community level through participatory accountable governance, socio-economic, sustainable agriculture and ecological endeavours to facilitate access and management of resources for people to develop their full potential and expand their choices in accordance with their needs and interests.
Aims and objectives:
(1) To educate the consumer regarding the following consumer rights:
• The right to basic goods and services which guarantee survival: adequate food; clothing; shelter; health care; education; and sanitation,
• The right to be protected against the marketing of goods or the provision of services that are hazardous to health and life,
• The right to be protected against dishonest and misleading advertising or labelling. And the right to be provided the facts and information needed to make an informed choice,
• The right to choose products and services at competitive prices with an
assurance of satisfactory quality,
• The right to express consumer interest in, the making and execution of Government policy,
• The right to be compensated for misrepresentation, shoddy goods or unsatisfactory services,
• The right to acquire the knowledge and skills necessary to be an informed consumer, and
• The right to live and work in an environment which is neither threatening nor dangerous and live a life of dignity and well-being.
(2) To undertake independent, authoritative and balanced research on consumer needs and the requisite degree of consumer protection and assistance by tendering advice and making recommendations to the public, Government and the commercial sector.
(3) To set up a consumer resource centre by collecting data/ information and research material on current consumer issues.
(4) To disseminate information to the consumer through the publication of newsletters, newspapers, bulletins, price-lists and the like, and through the organising of workshops, seminars, conferences, lecturers, exhibitions and talks, the screening of films and such other activities as may be necessary with prior approval of the authorities concerned.
(5) To maintain close relations with Government by submitting relevant research findings to the appropriate agencies.
(6) To engage in charitable causes/ activities consistent with the organisation vision and mission that includes:
• to facilitate financial assistance for students,
• to provide to charitable causes donations,
• to provide legal and psychology counselling, and
• to enhance awareness, motivate and provide guidance for students.
Main lines of work:
Research, advocacy, empowerment, networking, documentation and sustainable practices for consumers.Address:
No 24, Jalan SS1/22A, 47300 Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia