Tel: +91-452-2539520, Fax: +91-452-2531874
Henri Tiphagne (Executive Director): email@example.com
People’s Watch was established in 1995. For over 20 years People’s Watch has fought for the protection and promotion of human rights in the Southern State of Tamil Nadu. In the past decade, People’s Watch shortened its name from ‘People’s Watch Tamil Nadu’ as it broadened its focus to national concerns. People’s Watch has expanded its activities beyond human rights monitoring and reporting.
Today, it pursues a holistic approach to championing human rights through a wide range of activities, from pursuing legal solutions on behalf of victims to sheltering victims in a rehabilitation centre, to teaching younger generations a human rights curriculum and building a citizen’s movement for Human Rights of ‘ALL RIGHTS for ALL PEOPLE’.
A society free from human rights violations and discrimination. This society is to be built through cultivating a human rights culture and building a participatory democracy.
To protect human rights through monitoring human rights violations, interventions and building solidarity with people’s struggle for human rights, and to promote a human rights culture through education of the larger community.
Areas of work:
People’s Watch, Tamil Nadu
– a programme unit of the Centre for Promotion of Social Concerns concentrated its activities on human rights violations. Two years after its establishment it was realised that there must be legal interventions on behalf of victims. In addition to this, victim rehabilitation, monitoring, medical, psychological and vocational help to the victims is also needed. Meanwhile, campaigning for human rights, and human rights education in schools became matters of concern. People’s Watch now has expanded its work all over India through the Human Rights
Defenders Alert (HRDA) and the Working Group on Human Rights in India and the United Nations (WGHR).
Main lines of work:
• Human Rights Monitoring,
• Human Rights Intervention and/or various commissions to make the state accountable,
• Human Rights Campaigns,
• Human Rights Defenders Alert - India (HRDA),
• Citizens for Human Rights Movement (CHRM),
• Rehabilitation Centre for Torture Victims (RCTV),
• Media and Publications,
• Documentation Centre,
• Institute of Human Rights Education (IHRE),
• Educational Aid,
• All India Network of NGOs and Individuals working with National and State Human Rights Institutions (AiNNI), and
• Discussion Forum.
No: 6, Vallabhai Road, Chokkikulam, Madurai – 625 002, Tamil Nadu, India